Champion & Wilton
Champion & Wilton
1786 Established by Mathew Wilton based in Oxford Street
1961 the company was purchased by W. & H. Gidden Ltd
2000 Champion & Wilton (Wholesale) Ltd. was dissolved after W. & H. Gidden was sold
2014 Champion & Wilton's name was registered with Companies House
Royal Warrants held to Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, Queen Alexandra, King George V, King George VI, Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. In addition the German Emperor, Queen Maud of Norway and Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands.
This saddle, found in an attic with very stiff leather, has a blocked head and split flap.
Following some leather conservation and awaiting restoration.
The nearside view following restoration.
The offside view following restoration.
Blocked Head detail on this restored side saddle.
Early 20th Century side saddle with padded upper safe.
Showing the offside view of this early 20th Century saddle.
A selection of Catalogues.
Nearside view of a fully refurbished Circa 1920 side saddle.
Offside view of a fully refurbished Circa 1920 side saddle.
Side saddle with rare Lonsdale girthing system, made in 1921, awaiting conservation.
Following cleaning and conservation of leather and doeskin.
The offside showing the short flap and girth guide.
The Lonsdale girthing system on the offside.
A rare surviving example of a side saddle roller.
Showing the Dees for attaching the pad.
Circa 1940's side saddle.
Offside view 1940's side saddle.
A doeskin covered astride saddle, Model No.3, made in December 1944.
A Gentleman's hunting saddle.
A Royal Horse Artillery Officer's saddle made in 1953.
A variety of Champion & Wilton loop fittings with differing sizes.
A rare surviving example of their loop and buckle fitting. Patented 1895.
Iron and leather complete.
Showing loop and buckle detail.
Weston & Wilton's Patent
Weston & Wilton's Safety stirrup attachment of 1884.
With stirrup leather attached.
On stirrup bar.